My apologies for not posting in quite awhile. Blame it on our rude neighbor who ever-so-inconveniently password-protected his internet connection! (could it have been because of the one time I forgot and used up all his bandwidth to try skyping?). Not only did he password protect it, but he did it at the most inopportune time! I had looked up a recipe for couscous – a salad using chicken and pistachios and an orange dressing. I made my shopping list before we headed to a souk-type market Don had found (I’ll tell you about the market in a minute.) When we got home and were ready to eat, I tried to go on line to look at the recipe again and – well, you know how this story ends. I winged it making the salad, though, and it turned out good. My first Moroccan dish!
The market…where to begin… Should I begin with the chickens that you buy fresh, as in still alive?
Or with the side of beef that I almost ran into, hanging in the very crowded walkway?
Then again, there was the stall selling – what are those, pigs feet or what!
They also sold fish of all sorts, even squid, but it smelled so much I couldn’t stop to take pictures!
But other parts of the market were fun as well! There were stalls selling vegetables and some with fruits; there were olives, and even some household things. Although we resisted the temptation to buy the whole chicken, we did walk away with some veggies and my best purchase, a traditional tea pot that they use here to make their famous mint tea.