It's been almost a year since I have posted anything here, a year of growth and change. Baghdad was a good place to start my independent life because it didn't require a lot of independent action on my part! But now I am in Dublin Ireland, and I feel like I am finally beginning a new life on my own.
I arrived in Dublin in mid-September and immediately felt at home. Part of that is due to the fact that I have once again gathered almost all of my personal belongings in one place! Things from Morocco that had been in storage, the stuff I had taken to Baghdad, and all the new things I bought while home before coming to Ireland. The only down side to that is finding space in a European townhouse for everything! But it is coming along.
Not only am I lucky enough to be living in Dublin, but I also live in one of the best spots to be had in the city. It's an area called Donnybrook. I live a block off the main street running north/south through the area. Buses run from here into city center and out to the coast! I can walk to the shops in minutes, and it is only a 20 minute walk to work! As if that isn't enough of a blessing, the greatest gift from God is that our son Steve, his wife Lesah, and baby James are just a 15 minute walk away! He is working at the embassy too, just a few doors down from me! I am feeling more content here than I ever expected!
So, here are some pictures from this wonderful neighborhood:
I live in a very Irish "community" called Donnybrook Manor. There are over 100 townhouse units spread out over a large area. I am lucky (there's that word again!) to live in an end unit so that I only have neighbors on one side, although I don't ever hear the neighbors I DO have!
My house is described as a 4 bedroom townhouse, but I personally would describe it as a 1-bedroom townhouse with 3 rather large walk-in closets! But it is nice, and I have room for visitors (hint, hint). It has a nice kitchen, a living room, a dining room that I converted to an office, and even a small bathroom under the stairs! Please note, these pictures were taken BEFORE all my stuff arrived!



Tesco is one of several chain store grocery markets in Ireland. As well as having full-sized stores, they have placed a smaller version, Tesco Express, in neighborhoods for easier shopping! None of the grocery stores I have seen so far are anywhere near as big as the stores in the States, but we can find just about anything we need or want.
The thing I like most about shopping in Donnybrook are the little "mom and pop" stores all along the street. My two favorites are the source of my meat and produce, Dunnes Butcher Shop and Roy Fox Gourmet Foods. When I visit the butcher shop and see all the meat hanging in their meat locker, it takes me back to life in the Falkland Islands. The farm hands would butcher the mutton, cut them in half and hang them in the meat locker. We would then go down and cut off whatever part we wanted to eat that day!

Roy Fox Gourmet Foods sells a fair amount of organic and whole grain dry goods, as well as fresh fruits and vegetables from Ireland and elsewhere in Europe. They have some things that are hard to find elsewhere. I like shopping there because I can come out with a whole bag full of goodies for less than $10!

Another favorite stop, although an Irish chain, is the Natural Bakery, a mere 4 minute walk from my house, unfortunately! And their wares are ever-so-tasty!
Donnybrook isn't without it's artsy feel either. This is a little garden area just down the block a bit. One of the shops sells these lovely little creatures, and puts them out to "pasture" in different configurations daily.
So, that's my neighborhood in a nutshell. We also have doctors, dentists, lawyers, coffee shops, pharmacies, and even a bookstore and florist all within a 5 minute walk of my house! It's great! I LOVE Ireland, and will share more soon!
I arrived in Dublin in mid-September and immediately felt at home. Part of that is due to the fact that I have once again gathered almost all of my personal belongings in one place! Things from Morocco that had been in storage, the stuff I had taken to Baghdad, and all the new things I bought while home before coming to Ireland. The only down side to that is finding space in a European townhouse for everything! But it is coming along.
Not only am I lucky enough to be living in Dublin, but I also live in one of the best spots to be had in the city. It's an area called Donnybrook. I live a block off the main street running north/south through the area. Buses run from here into city center and out to the coast! I can walk to the shops in minutes, and it is only a 20 minute walk to work! As if that isn't enough of a blessing, the greatest gift from God is that our son Steve, his wife Lesah, and baby James are just a 15 minute walk away! He is working at the embassy too, just a few doors down from me! I am feeling more content here than I ever expected!
So, here are some pictures from this wonderful neighborhood:
![]() |
| My townhouse |
I live in a very Irish "community" called Donnybrook Manor. There are over 100 townhouse units spread out over a large area. I am lucky (there's that word again!) to live in an end unit so that I only have neighbors on one side, although I don't ever hear the neighbors I DO have!
![]() |
| Entrance to Donnybrook Manor |
| Beautiful stained glass around the doorway |

Tesco is one of several chain store grocery markets in Ireland. As well as having full-sized stores, they have placed a smaller version, Tesco Express, in neighborhoods for easier shopping! None of the grocery stores I have seen so far are anywhere near as big as the stores in the States, but we can find just about anything we need or want.
The thing I like most about shopping in Donnybrook are the little "mom and pop" stores all along the street. My two favorites are the source of my meat and produce, Dunnes Butcher Shop and Roy Fox Gourmet Foods. When I visit the butcher shop and see all the meat hanging in their meat locker, it takes me back to life in the Falkland Islands. The farm hands would butcher the mutton, cut them in half and hang them in the meat locker. We would then go down and cut off whatever part we wanted to eat that day!
Roy Fox Gourmet Foods sells a fair amount of organic and whole grain dry goods, as well as fresh fruits and vegetables from Ireland and elsewhere in Europe. They have some things that are hard to find elsewhere. I like shopping there because I can come out with a whole bag full of goodies for less than $10!
Another favorite stop, although an Irish chain, is the Natural Bakery, a mere 4 minute walk from my house, unfortunately! And their wares are ever-so-tasty!
Donnybrook isn't without it's artsy feel either. This is a little garden area just down the block a bit. One of the shops sells these lovely little creatures, and puts them out to "pasture" in different configurations daily.







