Half way through my first week at the embassy, I am thinking I can do this job if I just find the time to get at it! The first few days are spent getting checked in to the various departments so that we can get paid, get sick, and get fed! But most of that is behind me now so I am going to be able to settle down and maybe be productive! The job is very diversified. I’m actually not sure I will be doing very many of the things they trained me for, but the tasks I am doing are more interesting. Since I am working in the security office, I will be involved in the badging process for visitors and new employees, tracking the distribution of radio equipment, helping to clear people through security, and lots more. Much more fun than just writing letters and filing!
Rabat has been quite magical. Imagine, if you will, sitting on our private terrace eating our breakfast in the cool morning air, looking out over the houses and trees in our peaceful neighborhood, hearing the doves cooing, seeing the storks flying in the distance, and getting to hear the call to prayer from the Mosque a couple blocks away! We often repeat this peaceful, idyllic scene less the doves and storks in the evening as well. I wish all parts of the city could be so peaceful, but…..
THEY DRIVE LIKE MANIACS! I see why Morocco is considered one of the most dangerous countries to drive in! Lanes, traffic signals, shoulders, crosswalks, traffic cops, are all merely suggestions, or as one person put it, they are just for appearance’s sake! Luckily the drive to the embassy isn’t too crazy because it goes for a fair ways along the king’s palace grounds, which I think keeps people more under control!
And tonight we went to one of the major grocery stores, which seemed to take up almost a whole floor of a mall! It had a lot of variety, but not necessarily quality. I think, though, that half of the population of Rabat must have been in there when we were there! The best prices are on the produce. Avocados for just $4 per kilo (2.2 pounds in a kilo), and tomatoes were just 40 cents a kilo!
Although we have been advised that July and August can get quite hot, so far we have been blessed with wonderful weather. It gets hot during the day, out walking in the sun, but the shaded areas are quite tolerable! And yesterday and today, and on through the weekend, temperatures have been and will be in the 70s during the day and down into the 60s at night! I know it may not last long, but I am sure enjoying it now!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.